Question:
How to get him to hack alone?
?
2012-03-08 13:46:56 UTC
I have been loaning a horse for 2 months now. He is am ex-schooling horse so he is used to doing things in a group. He will not hack on his own. He doesn't rear,buck,bolt e.t.c he just doesn't move unless there is another horse or even just another person with him. How can I teach him to hack alone?I have hacked with just 1 person walking with us and he was fine. What can I do so that I can go on hacks alone with him? Please help me =]
He is fine with traffic and has never spooked even when hearing golfers and people at the rifle range for the first time ever. He just plodded on. He is 10 years old.
Three answers:
hossgal
2012-03-08 14:24:55 UTC
As an ex-school horse, he is probably totally shut down emotionally around people. For all those years, he was expected to be a machine - the student pushes this button, the machine trots. The student pulls this lever, the machine turns on the forehand.

If you can help him find a connection with you beyond pushing buttons and pulling levers (beyond just giving cues and expecting mechanical responses), he won't feel like he's alone when he's with you. He will learn to be happy to go out for an adventure with his friend.

If it was my lease horse or new purchase, I would stop riding him and start to build a connection and communication with ground work. I don't mean chasing him around a round pen or longe line! That's just more 'pushing buttons' for him to do what he's told to do. I would spend lots of time grooming him, and if he indicates an itchy spot I'd give him extra-good skritchies there. Take him for walks, on the trails where you will want to ride. Think about what's going to make it interesting for him. Stop at a patch of green so he can get a nice fresh snack. Step over and around logs, rocks, trees. You say he's pretty bombproof, but you can find some things that will get his attention. Ask a friend to ride their bike up to you while you're out walking. Meet someone with a dog on a leash, or off a leash if the dog and the horse are OK with it. Open an umbrella, carry a backpack (maybe with a nibble of feed in it.) Just do anything that will engage the horse's mind and emotions, and make it an enjoyable experience for him.

He's surely had enough of 'being made to do things'! You (or a more experienced rider) could surely *maike him* go out alone, but neither of you will enjoy it much. If you can reawaken the life in him while he's under saddle, he'll be a happier horse in general and you'll enjoy his company a lot more too.
in a nutshell
2012-03-08 22:51:12 UTC
firstly horses are herd animals

he has been used to going in a group with the others, so naturally he now has concerns about going it alone - that is the one and only reason he doesn`t want to go - safety in numbers and all that?!

you need to ride confidently and positively so he can trust he is in good hands - you need to be persistent and not give up - basically ride the storm and insist till you get him out - you say he doesnt buck or rear so you are on a winner already!

your friend could walk with you while you ride back alone -

or walk out the gate and hide while you carry on.- just dont give up -

make the hack good fun for him - keep at it he will definitely give in, most horses would rather hack than go round in never ending circles even as a group
?
2012-03-09 01:21:47 UTC
Sounds like he has your number to me. He needs someone on him that will take a crop or a long rein or spurs and make him line out and travel at the speed you want to and go somewhere .

It might help if he missed a morning meal and you rode him out a long way and then let him graze or eat away from the barn and then be carefull that he does not run home with you.