Question:
Weird Jumping Horse??
skip a heartbeat
2007-05-10 08:45:14 UTC
Last two weeks at the riding school where I ride I have ridden a lovely horse. She is amazing to ride on the flat and we get on pretty good. HOWEVER, when it came to jumping her there was a problem. She canters up to the jump full of impulsion but the last stride she slows down so much you think she will stop. She NEVER stops at a jump though, just slows down so much, to a walk really. My instructor and I tried alot of methods to keep her going over the jump, but to no avail. Anyone got any tips??? Would be gratefully appreciated!
Ten answers:
♥♥♥ Mommy to Two ♥♥♥
2007-05-10 09:08:25 UTC
As a past riding instructor, I think you need to back up a bit in her training. If you are using a really strong leg on her, and she is not responding, then there are a few things you can try. I would also start carrying a jumping crop (a very short bat or quirt). You don't actually have to use it on her, but if she knows you have it, she may be more consistent.

Try lunging her over small jumps first. See if she hesitates when there is no rider. It might be that she has gotten chucked in the teeth with the bit in the past after a jump, and she is still anticipating it. If she is fine over jumps lunging, then progress to the next step...

Next I would try trotting some small jumps. The trot is a much different gait than the canter, and it is much harder for a horse to really slow down and lose impulsion at the trot. Don't try to trot much over 2 feet though... also place some trot poles in front of the jump to keep her at a trot. Try to land in a canter though...

Also, in addition to the person above who suggested cavaletti, I would also try jumping her over gymnastics... these are jumps set up with no stride in between. Sometimes they are called "bounces." They need to be carefully measured out though to suit the horse's stride or you can get into some serious tangles. Make sure you put a ground pole in front of the first one. Gymnastics MUST be jumped at a canter...

Hope some of these ideas help you out!

*************************

And PLEASE, please do not follow DoveRydur's advice... you should never, never, ever jump alone, especially on a horse who is already having issues with jumping!
Kaiialyne S
2007-05-10 11:28:27 UTC
Check yourself first. Are you freaked out about jumping? Are you dropping your hands or hunching down right before the jump? She'll pick up on both of these and that could make her slow down because she thinks you want her to.

If the problem really isn't you but the horse, then I suggest you take it down a notch. She probably needs some retraining so that she can get more comfortable jumping. Jump her over tiny little crosspoles - no higher than a foot. She could walk over those jumps if she wanted to, but instead ask her to canter over them. Try doing flying changes over poles or small crossrails to help her open her stride.

If you don't ride with a crop, you might try one. A few strides away, give her a tap on the shoulder or behind your leg to encourage her to go forward. Don't sit too forward, just keep a good 2-point and keep your leg on. When you land after a jump, ask her to continue cantering for several strides, working on keeping her forward and balanced.

Lastly, make sure she isn't on her forehand when she approaches a jump, since that will encourage her to sort of slide into the jump.
2016-05-20 02:27:04 UTC
My old horse was like that scared, of all different looking jumps, now he's fine. What I recommend is jumping your horse over an 18 inch or higher jump (what ever height you feel comfortable at) until there is not even a slight chance your horse will refuse the jump. Then slowly start to add flowers, saddle pads, blankets, tarps anything you can think of that will make the jump more scary without it interfering with the horses jumping arc (from take off to landing). You can also add wings to the jumps, almost like a free jumping chute. The wings point the horse right at the jump so there is less chance of a refusal.
Player4life
2007-05-10 13:32:52 UTC
Well what I think (Im not sure) is sh could be cautious. Like thinking of everything too much. Where to take off, how high the fence is, what lead to get, what is my rider going to do. So she slows down to look at the fence a little and judge it and find out what to do. I would suggest ( I know this is mean) but use a dressage whip and right when you feel her slow down, whip her or tap her on her butt. Not so it hurts, just to give her encourage ment, saying hey I know what Im doing just trust me. Or get her vet checked just incase there is something wrong with her vision.
floridacrain
2007-05-10 08:52:57 UTC
It sounds like the horse is being overly cautious for some reason. Try her over some cavalettis with constant encouragement and then low rails with the same encouragement. When she gets these done properly with no slowing, try a lead up of cavalettis before a jump. I hope this helps.
Reckless Redhead
2007-05-11 08:17:58 UTC
I know it sounds weird but one of my trainers was having a problem with a mare I was riding and asked me to trot her up to the jump and stop turn around and do it again eventually she stopped doing it and was going over the jump nicely try using cavaletti also or ground bars.
2007-05-10 09:25:28 UTC
My horse had the same problem. Try free jumping her when no one is in the ring. She might be scared of getting popped in the mouth. If she is good for that try troting over a couple fences and keep you leg on her. Also if you trust her enough you could try jumping with out holding the reins (knot them first so she doesn't step through them and hurt herself.).
DONNA W
2007-05-10 10:48:39 UTC
ever thought it might be you that is unsure of the jump not the horse? horses feed off our emotions your hands could be sending a sense of caution to this horse it sounds also that she is a lesson horse maybe someone before you had heavy hands and she thinks you too are going to hurt her mouth again it goes back to the mare feeling you through your seat and hands relax think possitive and let her know you care
2007-05-10 12:18:52 UTC
sounds to me that you need to encourage her over the jump. start out with some cavelletis, or lunge her. keep the whip right behind her, but try not to scare her. and if she doesnt slow done to much, then give her a treat and praise her. good luck!
DoveRydur
2007-05-10 18:20:05 UTC
just be patient with her. and keep your legs on her but more when you come to a jump..and jump her when no one is around...i hope i helped a little...