Question:
My show horse isn't shedding out well!?
2007-05-10 16:16:53 UTC
My 4 yr old Paint show mare appears healthy, but she has been slow to shed out. She is on a good worming program, up to date in her innoculations, and is otherwise healthy. She gets decent quality hay, some oats, whole flax, minerals and salt daily. She was seriously injured 2 months ago and received high doses of antbiotics and other treatments, so I'm wondering if that's put her a bit under the weather and is causing her to shed so slowly. I have my first show in two weeks time, and we don't look ready! She has shed out in places, and the new hair is sleek and shiney! But her neck and belly are still fuzzy and long haired! And no, I'm positive she doesn't have cushing syndrome!
Help!
Twenty answers:
dressage.rider
2007-05-10 17:56:46 UTC
She is most likely fine. Some horses shed faster than others. Many retain hair here and there for some time. If you need to, clip those areas now so that in time for your show there won't be too much color difference.
Shorty
2007-05-13 01:24:44 UTC
I am guessing your in teh States or something, as if your In Australia, its getting colder, and the shows are nearly over.

I would suggest letting her outside on a nice hot days, and let her roll. This helps remove the hair to be shedded.

Anotehr good way is to use a curry comb and a shedding blade. Use the curry comb on her legs and places that are ticklinh or need special attention, use the blade for her belly. Use them every day, even twice a day.

Wash her and remove the water using ablade, then let her roll around and relax. The water helps to lossen the roots from the skin and also makes them feel 'too' clean,. and want to roll.

If that doesn't work, and im guessing your riding and haltering. In riding this owuldn't matter as much, as the saddle and your legs would cover most of it, but in halter, you might have to rub it out.

At mid after noon, when the weather is the hottest, go out and grap the tiops of the hair and pull gently but sharp, thsi can be done with almost every hair part, though grab more than one, or it will take you years. A bunch would work, and the heat helps to loosned the folicals.

Use Oil products, black sunnies, or some Cod Liver Oil, oils help to remove things form teh body, my horse was sick and we had to give him 5lt of Parafin, ot began to come out in his coat, ands it supper shiny and it was really fine, now its coming into winter, he's getting heary and warm.

Only use a cap full, if your mare is over 15.2 then use 1 and a half, build up gradually. Dont use too much oil products, if you use Cod Liver, dont use Black sunnies and vice versa.

Re: the anti biotics, it would only have afected her then, it is way out of her system, if you still tink its the treatments, use a hernal mix like garlic, rosehip and camomile, this not on.,ly helps to improve coat (Rosehip) and improve hoof (Rosehip) and healp maintain a healthy digestive system (Camomile) and to help fight infection (Garlic) it also helps to flush any bad things out. The camomile helps to keep the bowels running in order, and i use it for my gelding and will probably use it all his life, as well as the rosehip and garlic. Its helps them inside and out. The herbs would also help their coat, there is also a herb good for their coats, and improves the shine and condition. This may be beneficial, but enquire about what herbs you can use together, i know rosehip, camomile and garlic are good tegether, and i thinkthey are the only ones you can combined safely. But enquire to be sure.

I ope this helps and good luck.

I ride Appaloosas so i know about the paints!
Ashley
2007-05-11 11:53:45 UTC
Hmmm, I know horses that aren't getting enough to eat keep their winter hair longer. Maybe the stress of the injury threw everything off. I would not clip her unless you want to maintain it because the hair grows back all funky. What about a slinky, if you have an old one you could throw on for a week or so. Thats what the people at my barn do before a show. I wouldn't worry about it, the first shows tend to have some fuzzy horses anyways. She will lose it eventually. Is she in a stall? Sometimes you can put a light on them or a heat lamp, it makes them think it is more summerey so they loose the winter hair quicker. Just a thought.
rainy_creek_blazer
2007-05-10 16:48:31 UTC
Hmm, see, I have the exact opposite problem with my pony - she sheds April - October. I know there are supplement sort of things you can give them to promote shedding - I would check statelinetack.com or doversaddlery.com (I'm not sure if that is the line or not).

Have you given her a bath? Sometimes that can promote hair to start shedding out with the water and shampoo rinsing all the winter dirt out. Then I use a shedding blade to get it off while she dries and eats grass.

If all else fails, you could clip her I suppose...I don't know how good of an idea that would be though.

Good luck with your show!
pintobns
2007-05-13 17:18:35 UTC
Probiotics added to the feed aids shedding. Oil added is supposed to as well, but personally I've never noticed it go any faster with or without oil.

Also, you need to worm her. The hair is reflective of the inside and sometimes it's just a matter of worming to jump start the shedding.
2007-05-10 17:11:47 UTC
Look for the Slick & Easy shedding bar at your local tack store. It really does wonders in helping horses shed out. A bath is a good idea as well, especially on a warm day. I would avoid clipping at this point as that will damage her summer coat.
legacy_girl92
2007-05-11 11:17:26 UTC
Get a metal shedding brush. Brush your horse out twice daily. If that doesn't work, try putting a light blanket on your mare. Just one that won't overheat her. Warmth encourages their body to shed the winter hair.
?
2007-05-13 22:24:50 UTC
I show horses for a living. We put our horses in a lighted stall during the winter and run the lights about 14-16 hours a day to simulate the summer hours.If it is still cold we also use blankets.
=)
2007-05-12 09:10:00 UTC
I would body clip her and blanket her. If you are uncomfortable clipping, just put a lightweight blanket or even just a sheet on. She may not be shedded out, but she'll definely look more sleek.

Also, the corn oil does help too.

AND CURRY!!!
Player4life
2007-05-10 18:10:52 UTC
Well it could be. Or it cpuld have been the weather. After it started getting warmer, did it switch to cold? Anyway I would just the thick coat off and I'm sure it will become shiny in days!
Skittles
2007-05-10 16:55:32 UTC
Hot oil bath. What you do is figure out how hot you and your horse can stand the water, get it that hot, put baby oil in it and bath your horse

then brush him out and use a shedding tool

rinse VERY well
image942
2007-05-13 12:23:55 UTC
i had the same problem 2 summers ago. i found that a grooming block works wonders!!!!! Try the slick n easy grooming block from valley vet supply its only like 3 dollars there. the address is www.valleyvet.com the hair comes off like nothin
Sherry M
2007-05-10 18:05:57 UTC
The hair will eventually come out and she will be sleek and shiny by the middle to late June. Or else you can body clip her. I have seen it done and it works quite well.
?
2007-05-10 16:20:59 UTC
A cup of corn oil in her feed will help her shed out better.Good luck during show season!
Unicornrider
2007-05-13 01:05:14 UTC
Good brushings will work wonders, and a good wash will help too, the weight od the rubber when you dry her will drag the extra hair out.
crysta c
2007-05-10 18:00:54 UTC
use a different type of equipment to groom like this shedding blade it will get the hair from under the coat.

http://www.clarkessaddlery.co.nz/images/store/grooming/metalscraper.jpg
DoveRydur
2007-05-10 18:07:24 UTC
groom her as much as you can and let her outside to roll and rub off some hair..it usually works with the horses at the stables... good luck
Kimberlee
2007-05-10 16:47:04 UTC
I would just keep brushing him and it will get better. Maybe if you turn her out some of it will rub of... I'm not really sure.

Good Luck!
rinestonehorsegirl
2007-05-12 20:59:01 UTC
don't worry. it's natural. just brush her a lot. get a shed-n-blade and use that on her. it works!
r2mm
2007-05-10 16:52:13 UTC
Do you have one of those fat rubber curries? They work well when new. Here is one of many sources:

http://www.horsetack.com/products/grooming/all/curry1.htm